Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Pollards Hill: The Ascension

Merton Deanery

Address

Sherwood Park Road
Mitcham
Surrey

Location map

Parish website

External photo

Parish Contacts

The Revd Canon Jennifer Thomas (Vicar)

The Vicarage
Sherwood Park Road
Mitcham, CR4 1NF

Tel: 020-8764 1258
E-mail: ascensionchurch@btinternet.com

Parish website: ascensionpollardshill.blogspot.com/

Sunday Services

8.00am Said Eucharist
10.00am Parish Eucharist 
(with Junior Church)
5.00pm (Winter) Evening Worship
6:30pm (Summer)

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, crèche, large print books

Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Modern Catholic

Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 8,935
Urban Priority Area: Yes

Deanery: Merton

Archdeaconry: Lambeth

Episcopal Area: Kingston

Introduction to parish

The Church of the Ascension stands within the liberal catholic tradition of the Church of England. Our worship reflects our tradition involving the many varied gifts of those who worship here. Our present Church building dates from 1953, the parish boundaries being coterminous with the Pollards Hill Ward.

We welcome all people. We are an inclusive Church. We offer clubs and organisations for all ages and run social outreach projects.

We will prepare all people who come in good faith for the sacrament of Holy Baptism and Confirmation. We offer ongoing Christian nurture through our preaching and through our Junior Church, Bible study groups and House Groups.

Details of Church

Internal photo

Built: 1953
Listing: not listed

This church consisting of nave, with narrow side aisles, chancel, apsidal baptistry at west end and chapel and vestries in NE corner was completed in 1953.

The walls are of brick and the main roof covered with 'Pinion' pan tiles. There are concrete flat roots over baptistry and vestries finished with asphalt.

There is no chancel arch, the chancel and choir stalls projecting into the nave. There is however a semi elliptical brick arch over the altar step into the sanctuary. This is surmounted externally by a cross. The nave is divided up into seven bays by cased hardwood posts.