Patronage Board (Bishop/Team Rector of Wimbledon/Vicar of Merton, St Mary/a TV)
Kingston Episcopal Area
Details of the Church
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1862-3 and designed by John Johnson with a vestry extension in 1893.
The church was designed in an ‘Early Decorated’ style, and German stained glass was added in 1875.
The nave and side aisles are covered with parallel double-pitched roofs separated by valley gutters. There is a bellcote at the west end of the nave topped with a broached spire.
All elevations of the original building are constructed of squared, but not coursed, rough-faced ragstone, but dressed stone surrounds have been used around openings and as quoins.
All roofs are covered with natural slate apart from the spire and belfry, which are shingled.
The church was declared redundant in 1974, but major re-ordering was carried out between 1977 and 78. This work included the construction of new lean-to extensions on the south and west elevations, major alterations to the east end and a false ceiling over the entire area of the original building. The modern extensions are roofed in natural slate but faced externally with render painted white.
The converted church now includes toilets, vicar’s vestry, kitchen, hall, reception area and chapel. The original vestry building is now partitioned and only part is retained for use by the church.