Menu

Useful information

Patron

Patronage Board (Bishop/Team Rector of Wimbledon/Vicar of Merton, St Mary/a TV)

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Merton Deanery

Archdeaconry

Lambeth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1874

Architect

Messrs Francis

Listing

NL

The building is designed in a modest but attractively rural Gothic style.

The church was damaged by a flying bomb in 1944 and reconstruction work included a new roof and ceiling to the nave. The chancel roof was reconstructed from salvaged timbers and a new east window was built. A new south porch was built on the foundations of the old and windows were salvaged from the church hall. Windows were re-glazed. The stained glass in the chancel and west window is dated 1953, the year the restoration was completed.

The accommodation comprises nave, chancel, organ chamber, vestry, north aisle and tower rooms. There is a south porch which serves as the main entrance. At the south west corner of the church is a tower housing bells and bell ringing chamber, above this is a spire. The ring of six bells in the tower date from 1884.

The church is constructed in load-bearing yellow London stock bricks and there are Bath stone dressings to the windows, buttresses etc. The main roofs are slated and the spire is covered in shingles.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close