Menu

Useful information

Patron

Keble College, Oxford

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Merton Deanery

Archdeaconry

Lambeth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1819-21

Architect

George Smith

Listing

2*

The church was rebuilt in 1819-21 incorporating the original Saxon tower base, the stonework of which can still be seen with its narrow door and adjacent piscina. It is an austere building externally rendered in Roman cement with simple mouldings. The main decoration comprises carved stone caps to the pinnacles and a variety of cast heads at the base of drip moulds and on buttresses at the west end.

Internally its basilica form is emphasised by a soaring elegant nave and tall aisles all with vaulted ceilings as has the chancel and high altar. The tower is terminated in four rendered pinnacles with lead covered caps and granite parapet copings.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close