Vicar St Mary, Wimbledon
Kingston Episcopal Area
Details of the Church
Samuel Sanders Teulon
The church was dedicated on 5 August 1859. The architect was Samuel Teulon (1812-73). Modifications were since made including construction of the south transept added in 1860, the choir vestry added to designs by F Cranmer Penrose in 1875 and the nave lengthened to designs by Charles Maylard in 1881.
In 1912 interior embellishments, reredos, murals etc were added under the direction of F C Shearman; in 1936 the Church Hall was built on adjoining site.
Since 1977, alterations to the interior were carried out including the nave altar arrangement, forming the Truman room in the south transept, making a lobby to the south entrance and new glass doors to the west lobby. The church now seats approximately 400 people.