Useful information


Proprietary Chapel

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area


Merton Deanery


Lambeth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church




Not Known



Probably built in the 1880’s, the structure is rather unusual. The plan of the original church provided a large nave with the transept to the south side and the small chancel to the east. There was a west end gallery and a small west end tower. Original entrances were provided at the west end from a covered porch and to the south transept. Also via a small covered and enclosed porch. The interior must have felt very open as the clerestory to the nave is supported on slender cast iron columns. Unusually the clerestory is timber framed construction, this being expressed externally by tile hanging with timber clerestory windows. Externally, all other walls are red brick and windows are lancets with stone dressings. All roofs are covered in slate apart from the new roof at the south cast meeting rooms. The slender west end tower is topped by a small slated steeple over an open timber gallery. Below the gallery is a clock which shows faces to E, W, N and S.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2024. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close