Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Motspur Park: Holy Cross

Merton Deanery

External photo

Address

Douglas Avenue
Motspur Park
New Malden
Surrey

Location map

Parish website

Parish Contacts

Rev Rachel Taylor (Vicar)

Holy Cross Vicarage
2 Douglas Avenue
Motspur Park
New Malden
Surrey KT3 6HT

Tel: 020 8942 3117
E-mail: rachel@taylortalk.fsnet.co.uk

Parish website: www.holycrossmotspurpark.org.uk

Sunday Services

8am Holy Communion (said)
10am Parish Eucharist
(with Sunday School & crèche)
(First Sunday) All-age Communion
(no Sunday School & crèche)

Facilities: Toilets, crèche, induction loop, large print books

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Central
Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 5,886
Urban Priority Area: No

Deanery: Merton
Archdeaconry: Lambeth
Episcopal Area: Kingston

Introduction to parish

We are a welcoming, inclusive, community church inspired to share the love of God. The congregation has people of all ages, and children are welcome to choose between Sunday School, crèche, or staying in church. Our main service, at 10am on Sunday, is a chance for people to worship God alongside others, with hymns, prayers and a short sermon. On the first Sunday we all join together for our All-Age Communion service with a more informal feel.

There are lots of opportunities to have fun and we hold regular social events during the year. Other activities include a fortnightly lunch club (mainly attended by pensioners), a monthly intercessory prayer group, a book group, Mothers Union branch, and Rainbows, Brownies and Guides.

Details of Church

Internal photoBuilt: 1908/1948
Architect: Ralph Covell
Listing: not listed

The church was originally constructed in 1908 but, following extensive war damage, the buildings were virtually rebuilt under the direction of the architect Ralph Covell in the late 1940s. The church halls were demolished and a new church hall constructed in the late 1960s or early 1970s. The new church hall abuts and connects with the north side of the church.

The church is constructed in fair faced concrete blocks with shallow buttresses. The walls are painted internally and externally. The church is spanned by exposed timber trusses and the main roof slopes are covered with concrete interlocking tiles. Windows to the church have ornamental concrete surrounds and the windows are set with leaded lights.