Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Mitcham: St Mark

Merton Deanery

External photo

Address

St Mark's Road
Mitcham
Surrey

Location map

Parish Contacts

The Revd Nigel Stone (Vicar)

St Mark's Vicarage,
Locks Lane,
Mitcham,
Surrey CR4 2JX.

Tel: 020 8648 2397
E-mail: nigel.stone@southwark.anglican.org

Sunday Services

10.00am Parish Communion
(ASB Rite A) with children's and young people's activities.

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche, induction loop, large print books

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Central
Patron: Bishop of Southwark

Population (2001 census): 10,845
Urban Priority Area: Yes

Deanery: Merton
Archdeaconry: Lambeth
Episcopal Area: Kingston

Introduction to parish

Parish

Residential (council flats, owner occupied terraced housing); multi-faith multi-ethnic population; shopping centre for Mitcham; small industrial premises and businesses.

Church's work

Multi-ethnic congregation. Half the church building is used as a Family Centre during the day supporting people of all ages in different ways.

Details of the Church

External photoBuilt: 1899 - 1910
Architect: R M Chart
Listing: not listed

 

 

In 1979/80 the church was subdivided to form the St. Mark's Family Centre in the western half, with the eastern half (chancel, chapel and vestries) retained for church use. The focus of worship in the chancel was turned through 90° to face a new altar platform against the south wall. A new church entrance door was formed just to the west of the north transept. The Family Centre retained a separate entrance through the north porch and the original grand narthex at the west was enclosed to form storage space. A kitchen, storage areas and lavatories were planned between the Centre and church with a multi-purpose room above. Later still, a gallery with staircase access was constructed. There is office space above the choir vestry.

The church is built of soft red brick with Bath stone dressings and red/orange machine-made, plain clay tiles. There is a copper covered fleche with bell. In plan the church consisted (before subdivision) of nave, with aisles, chancel, south-east chapel and vestries in the north transept and flat roofed extension in the north-east corner.