Croydon Episcopal Area
Details of the Church
The church is of moderate size with a nave and north aisle of four bays each, extending eastwards a further three bays as chancel and Lady Chapel under continuous pitches roofs. The vestry occupies a corner position south of the easternmost bay of the chancel and east of the south chapel and aisle of two bays each. The tower stands at the west end of the south aisle beyond the organ, one bay short of the west end of the nave. There is no clerestory. All external masonry is of random coursed ashlar. The nave and aisle roofs are of stone slates except for the two facing slopes above the north arcade which are tiled. The vestry is roofed with lead and the broach spire covered with shingles. A turret projecting from the north wall used to contain a newel stair. A burial crypt is situated below the east end of the Lady Chapel with access through an external door below the ground level in the north wall. The general roof construction is of the single frame, braced tiebeam type.
The church is notable, among other things, for its three table tombs, two complete with effigies, many fine brasses and several good monuments, ancient oak screens and some good stalls with misericords; a perpendicular font and cover, a 1754 chandelier, some fragments of mediaeval glass and for a peal of eight bells.
In 1999, the western end of the church was extensively remodelled to provide a narthex and meeting room with kitchen and toilet facilities with a double glazed partition ensuring the view east remains unbroken.