Croydon Episcopal Area
Details of the Church
John Oldrid Scott
The church was built in 1913 with an extension at the western end of the church comprising an additional bay to the building and the construction of the St John’s room in 1962. A fire in 1987 substantially destroyed the Church and the reconstruction and the remodelling of the building was completed in 1991.
Accommodation comprises nave, with north aisle, north and south transepts, chancel and sanctuary. In addition there is a priest’s vestry and choir vestry, the latter is located in the ground floor of a tower which also has meeting rooms and other accommodation located at various levels within. At the western end of the church is a narthex and the St John’s Room which is divided from the north aisle of the building by a sliding/folding partition. The church is constructed in load bearing brickwork faced with flint, with stone dressings to windows and buttresses. There is also a tower at the north east corner of the building. Roofs are pitched and clad in clay tiles, with the exception of the roofs over the priest’s vestry, St. John’s Room and narthex which are flat.