Croydon Episcopal Area
Details of the Church
The church is sited at the junction of the High Street and The Platt near the south end of the village of Dormansland. It was built in 1882 as a chapel of ease to Lingfield but became a parish in its own right very soon after.
It was designed by Arthur Blomfield, not one of his best, and originally comprised a nave, chancel, north aisle, and north and south transepts. A vestry was added at the north east corner in 1889 and the south aisle, tower (ground storey only) and a small room at the west end in 1914. This was converted for use as a chapel in 1972 and became St Andrew’s Chapel; furniture designed by David Nye. At the same time an assembly room, known as the Centenary Room, was built on the north side together with a kitchen and lavatories, designed by Adrian Gale.