Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Bishop

Episcopal Area

Croydon Episcopal Area

Deanery

Sutton Deanery

Archdeaconry

Reigate Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1930

Architect

Martin Travers/T F W Grant

Listing

2

The design was intended to resemble a Spanish mission chapel. The walls were originally whitewashed leaving exposed the decorative banding of dark red bricks. As the building occupies an elevated position it can be seen from quite a distance (e.g. from St. Helier Hospital) and its vivid green copper roof and simple belfry set amidst the surrounding two storey pan-tiled houses looks convincingly “continental”. Sir John Betjeman, who admired the building, described it as “Essoldo-moderne in a Hispano-Italian style”!

The overall impression is one of light and space. The building is basically a rectangle 113 x 47 feet. The forty foot high, strongly moulded ceiling gives dignity and strength. The altar and rood cross are the focal point. The absence of choir stalls and screen avoids any barriers between congregation and altar. The large gallery at the west end accommodates the organ. The narthex below the gallery was enclosed 1990.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close