Kingston: St Luke
Rev Martin Hislop (Vicar)
St Luke's Vicarage
4 Burton Road
Surrey KT2 5TE
Parish website: www.stlukeskingston.co.uk
9.30am Teddy Bears Service (3rd Sunday only)
10.30am Sung Mass
6pm Evensong & Benediction
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Urban Priority Area: No
Episcopal Area: Kingston
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
Established as a parish in the 1880s in the Tractarian or Anglo-Catholic Tradition, St Luke's continues to be faithful to that Catholic inheritance. Gospel preaching and excellence in catholic worship form the foundation for witness and outreach. The parish is responding to the growing number of young families by introducing additional children and family services as well as developing links with St Luke's Primary School. The parish has taken Resolutions A, B & C under the Act of Synod and is under the Extended Episcopal Care of the Bishop of Fulham.
Architect: Kelly & Birchall
Listing: not listed
The church was built in 1889, extended and altered in 1895 and again later by the conversion of the then vestry to a chapel, with the addition of a choir vestry, small hall, and servers' vestry.
The church is built of soft red brick which is exposed internally and externally. There are special feature bricks to the outside with stone window dressings. Internally the brickwork is broken up by simple detached stone columns, with stone pillars of clustered shafts to the lower part of the nave which break back to brickwork from the springing of the arches.
The church consists of a nave of five bays running east-west, and a chancel with a seven sided apse forming the sanctuary at the east end. There are aisles to the north and south, with a tower at the north-east corner. There is a Lady Chapel, and separate vestries for the priest, choir, and servers.