Patronage Board (Bishop/King's College, Cambridge/a TV)
Kingston Episcopal Area
Details of the Church
A J Phelps
St John’s Church was built by Jackson & Shaw in a largely perpendicular gothic style to the designs of the architect A J Phelps, with the foundation stone laid by Samuel Lord Bishop of Winchester on 14 July 1871.
Originally built without a tower; this was added in the 1930’s and is thought to have been designed with a spire, but it has been completed with a flat roof and turret over the spiral staircase. Stained glass windows have been added over the years as memorials with the latest being those in the north transept added in the 1950’s.