Menu

Useful information

Patron

King's College, Cambridge

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Kingston Deanery

Archdeaconry

Wandsworth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1830-31

Architect

E Lapidge

Listing

2

The earliest part of the church, designed by E Lapidge and built over the years 1830/31, consisted of the nave and twin turrets of the west front. To this was added the south aisle, in 1860, by R Brandon, and the chancel, choir and clergy vestry, in 1900/1, by Bodley & Garner. A further extension providing a choir vestry and extended boiler room was carried out in 1954

The original building is of Bath Stone dressings and London stock brickwork in five bays, having a slate, pitched roof with gabled ends to east & west, and with parapet walls on north & south sides. On the north and south corners of the west front, gabled end are brick, octagonal turrets, surmounted with stone pinnacles. The south aisle, a lower structure of the same brick, built against the nave, has gables on east & west ends, and a slate pitched roof, falling to a back gutter on the north side, and an open eaves gutter on the south side.

The chancel, of three bays, its choir and the clergy vestry, are in a red brick, but otherwise the stonework features are similar to the original structure; i.e. copings to parapets, cappings to pier splays, and dressings to door and window openings. The roofs of this part are machine made, red tiles.

The comparatively recent vestry, set on the south east side, is of a matching red brick with similar stone dressings to door and window openings, but has a flat roof behind a low, stone capped parapet.

Internally, the addition of a children’s corner was undertaken in 1989. Formed at the west end of the south aisle and set behind a glazed screen of oak framing, it has a glazed octagon and flat solid timber roofing over. The ante space beyond has been converted to provide ancillary facilities of toilet, sink and utility storage.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close