Our Vision

A people with hearts on fire, loving God, walking with Jesus and led by the Spirit

Oxted: St Mary

Tandridge Deanery

A parish within the Oxted Team Ministry

Address

Church Lane
Oxted
Surrey RH8 9LJ

Location map

Parish website

External photo

Sunday Services

8.00am Eucharist (1928)
10.00am Sung Eucharist
(with Junior Church & crèche)

Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, crèche, induction loop, Sunday School, Youth Group, large print books

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Tradition: Modern Catholic
Local Ecumenical Partnership with Roman Catholic and URC

Population (2001 census): 4,620
Urban Priority Area: No

Introduction to parish

A modern liberal all-age Church trying to meet the needs of its community, worshipping in an ancient and much loved building. Part of a Local Ecumenical Project bringing churches together for worship and service. Serving the community with a Church Junior School and organizations for all ages.

Details of Church

Internal photoBuilt: 12th century
Listing: grade 1

The original building is lost in the mists of time. It has been claimed that an early inscription bore the date 1040AD, but successive re-buildings have unfortunately removed almost all traces of the first Saxon structure. The only remaining signs appear to be at the base of the tower and in the nave. The Domesday Book simply stated "At Ac-Stede (the Place of the Oaks) there is a Church", and on this evidence the parish, like so many others, celebrated its novo-centenary in 1986.

There is however little doubt that the church proper was built in the mid-12th century. Only the ground stage of the tower and portions of the nave walls remain from that original building. Later in the 12th century the aisles and the upper stages of the tower were added, and the chancel was rebuilt in the mid-13th century. The next two centuries saw the aisles widened and their main walls raised; new windows throughout the chancel, new arcades and heightened walls in the nave. Subsequent changes came with the restorations after fire damage of 1637 and 1719 (the latter, and possibly both, due to lightning strikes); and the restoration and additions of the 1870s. The main materials are iron-stone and sand-stone.