South Norwood: Holy Innocents
Croydon North Deanery
The Revd Roxanne Hunte
192A Selhurst Road
London. SE25 6XX
Tel: 020 8916 1830
(either with Sunday School or all-in, all-age communion)
Details of Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Deanery: Croydon North
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
Holy Innocents exists to worship and serve God and God’s people in the community of South Norwood. The principal service is the Sunday Eucharist, each week at 10am and the church family comprises a wide range of ages and backgrounds. Such diversity is welcomed and celebrated in worship and fellowship.
Holy Innocents seeks to be friendly and welcoming to everyone, whatever their situation or stage of faith. When ready, people are encouraged to offer their time and talents to God as they choose and in this way the ministry of the church is built up and shared.
Activities through which some serve and to which any are welcome include Sunday School, Youth Group, Eucharistic Servers, Homeless Shelter, Sunflowers Parent and Toddlers and social events such as fun days and shared lunches.
Built: 1894 - 95
Architect: G F Bodley
Listing: grade 2*
The church, designed with a continuous nave and chancel in the ‘perpendicular’ (late Gothic) style by Bodley, was built in 1894-95.
The construction is of stone, but the Tower planned for the south-west corner was never built. The interior is tall with slim Perpendicular columns and elegant detailing in stone. There is no clerestory.
G F Bodley (1827-1907) was a leading ecclesiastical architect of the period in the area. The stonework detail on the nave arcades is particularly interesting.