Menu

Holy Innocents exists to worship and serve God and God’s people in the community of South Norwood. The principal service is the Sunday Eucharist, each week at 10am and the church family comprises a wide range of ages and backgrounds. Such diversity is welcomed and celebrated in worship and fellowship.

Holy Innocents seeks to be friendly and welcoming to everyone, whatever their situation or stage of faith. When ready, people are encouraged to offer their time and talents to God as they choose and in this way the ministry of the church is built up and shared.

Activities through which some serve and to which any are welcome include Sunday School, Youth Group, Eucharistic Servers, Homeless Shelter, Sunflowers Parent and Toddlers and social events such as fun days and shared lunches.

Useful information

Patron

The Bishop

Episcopal Area

Croydon Episcopal Area

Deanery

Croydon North Deanery

Archdeaconry

Croydon Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1894-95

Architect

G F Bodley

Listing

2*

The church, designed with a continuous nave and chancel in the ‘perpendicular’ (late Gothic) style by Bodley, was built in 1894-95.

The construction is of stone, but the Tower planned for the south-west corner was never built. The interior is tall with slim Perpendicular columns and elegant detailing in stone. There is no clerestory.

G F Bodley (1827-1907) was a leading ecclesiastical architect of the period in the area. The stonework detail on the nave arcades is particularly interesting.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close