Many grant-awarding bodies will match any funds that you are able to contribute to a project, so are a way of stretching church funds and reserves further.
Whenever we encourage giving, it is important that everyone abides by the Code of Fundraising Practice. Churches and their volunteers must take into account the general principles, the needs of a giver who may be in vulnerable circumstances or need extra support to make an informed decision. Parish Resources has a guide for churches which we would recommend reading.
COVID-19 Emergency Funding
Many grants are available in response to the pandemic. Ecclesiastical have produced a comprehensive list of funds that are available to support churches, which includes a search function for you to find potential grants for your church.
Capital Fundraising and Building Projects
Duncan Gregory, our Church Buildings Officer offers support and advice for churches seeking grants and funds for capital projects i.e. building related projects. See the Diocesan Advisory Committee (DAC) page for more information about how they care for our church buildings.
Latest news on grant funding and more are included in the Diocesan E-Bulletin sent to incumbents each month.
Top Tips for Applying to Grants
- Consider your options. Grants can resource your parish for a huge variety of things: building restoration, sustainability projects, audio-visual equipment, education and more. Explore Parish Resources’ list of charitable grants available and find out what grants your local council offers that you are eligible for.
- Make your case well. Grants are often competitive, so having a clear and compelling case for support will be vital for securing funding. Being able to demonstrate your financial need, key objectives, and how donors’ money will be used are key things to explain. Ecclesiastical has a fundraising hub with advice on building your case for grant applications which is worth reading as you write an application.
- Save the date. Lots of grants only accept applications at certain points throughout the year, so make a note for future years of when applications can be made and set reminders so that you can be ready in good time.
Council Grants in the Diocese
- Croydon: Community Ward Budgets, Green Fund, One Croydon Alliance
- Greenwich: Neighbourhood Growth Fund, Ward Budget Scheme
- Kingston: Community Grant Programme, Neighbourhood Community Grants, Borough-wide Community Grants
- Lambeth: COVID-19 Fund for VCS Organisations
- Lewisham: Community Energy Fund, Small & Faith Fund
- Merton: Giving Coronavirus Fund, Strategic Partner Programme.
- Reigate & Banstead: Small Grants Fund
- Richmond: Community Fund, Local Area Fund, Hampton Fund (external)
- Southwark: COVID-19 Community Grants, Common Purpose Grants, Neighbourhoods Fund
- Sutton: Neighbourhood Grant
- Tandridge: Together Community Fund
- Wandsworth: Grant Fund, Youth Opportunity Fund