Clapham: Holy Trinity
Patron: Diocesan Board of Patronage
Deanery: Lambeth North
Episcopal Area: Kingston
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
Details of church
Built: 1774 - 79
Architect: Kenton Couse
Listing: grade 2*
The original mediaeval parish church, on the site of St Paul's, was replaced when Holy Trinity was built at the north east corner of Clapham Common in 1774-6 by Kenton Couse. The building was a simple brick rectangle with a west turret and the west portico was enlarged by F Hurblatt in. More substantial alterations were made in 1903 when Beresford Pite added the chancel, south east chapel, north east vestries on two floors, north east and north west porches. Two WCs and a small kitchen have been incorporated.
The Lady Chapel has been altered and fitted out to a design by Purcell Miller Tritton and Partners to create the William Wilberforce Community Centre and comprises a large meeting room at first floor level, a small meeting room at ground floor level, a kitchen, entrance hall, lavatories and shower room. The west end of the church has been altered to provide a small chapel and coffee bar.