Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Archbishop of Canterbury and Church Society Trust (jointly)

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Lambeth North Deanery

Archdeaconry

Lambeth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1822

Architect

C F Porden

Listing

2*

St Matthew’s Church is an enormous Victorian building in the centre of Brixton at the heart of a conservation area.  It is another of the ‘Waterloo’ churches.

During the 1970’s and 1980’s the interior was significantly but insensitively re-ordered to provide a range of community facilities.  The building was significantly refurbished in 1993-4 to provide new resources for the area.  Amongst all the other facilities, it continues to house the Anglican Church of St Matthew’s, continuing the tradition of Christian worship on the site .

The old church of East Brixton, St Jude was made redundant in 1980 and has been converted into a furniture warehouse.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close