Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Bishop

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Lambeth North Deanery

Archdeaconry

Lambeth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1840-42

Architect

W Rogers

Listing

2

The church is constructed in the Gothic Style. The building was originally planned with the sanctuary beneath the spire and the main entrance was from Stockwell Park Crescent. The orientation was changed in 1880 when the altar was moved and the space under the tower became the main entrance and porch.

The walling is generally built of brick with buff coloured Suffolk bricks used on the west elevation and stock bricks on the side and rear elevations. The tower is constructed in stone and there are stone copings, cills, kneelers, string courses, finials, hood moulds and other details.

The accommodation comprises nave, aisles, a wide chancel and vestries at the east end on the south side. There are galleries above the aisles. Access to the galleries is via separate staircases with external entrances. The galleries are supported on slender iron columns and cranked iron beams.

At the west end there is a flower room, workshop, porches and lobbies. Above the main central entrance lobby is the tower and spire.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close