Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Crown, 1 turn; Patronage Board (Bishop/Archbishop of Canterbury/Trustees/a TV) 2 turns

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Lambeth North Deanery

Archdeaconry

Lambeth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1914/1933

Architect

Adshead & Ramsay

Listing

2

St Anselm’s Church, designed by Adshead and Ramsey and built partly before and partly after the First World War, is located on the West side of Kennington Cross. It is a large, slightly gaunt brick box, which draws its inspiration from the form of the Roman Basilica, surrounded by a series of smaller, lower spaces.

The Church is constructed of yellow stock bricks, and has pitched roofs covered in Italian tiles. Externally, it is discoloured by the London grime and the feeling of austerity is increased by the simply detailed windows, doors and other architectural features. Inside however, the large, united nave and chancel is light and airy.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close