The Lord Chancellor
Woolwich Episcopal Area
East Lewisham Deanery
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
Built in 1839-41 to a design by John Brown of Norwich, the Commissioner’s type church with coupled lancet windows has an ornate west tower with octagonal top stage and spire. Inside the aisles are as high as the nave with slender quatrefoil columns. Remodelling was carried out in 1875 by James Brooks, when the chancel was lengthened, and given aisles and a stone vault, the nave galleries were removed and a wooden vault added, and a vaulted baptistry inserted on the tower. The interior is remarkable for its elaborately painted walls and its stained glass, much by Clayton and Bell.