Woolwich Episcopal Area
East Lewisham Deanery
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
The oldest parts of the church were constructed in 1886 as a chapel of ease to St Mildred’s. This phase included the chancel, north-east organ chamber and vestries, and south east chapel, all to the design of Charles Bell RIBA.
In 1912, three bays of the nave and aisles were erected and the chancel and vestries restored and rearranged to the designs of Percy Leeds ARIBA. An altar recess was added to the east wall of the south transept by Henry Whiteman Rising in 1923.
In 1967 the temporary west wall of 1912 was finally replaced by E F Starling who designed a new west wall, narthex and vestries, linked by a covered way to new halls to the south and west of the church. This work was funded by the sale of the old church hall site and part of the vicarage garden, located to the south of the church.
In 1993, following structural problems, the eastern apse was demolished. A temporary infill wall was constructed on the line of the sanctuary arch.
The principal materials used in the construction are Kentish ragstone, Bath stone and brick. The pitched roofs are finished in machine-made clay tiles and the flat roofs in asphalt.