Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Bishop

Episcopal Area

Woolwich Episcopal Area

Deanery

East Lewisham Deanery

Archdeaconry

Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1903

Architect

Philip A Robson

Listing

2*

The church, consecrated in October 1904, forms part of the South Germans Estate built by Cameron Corbett as part of the development of South London.

The architect thought that the atmospheric conditions prevailing at the time meant that much external ornamentation was a waste, so he gave it a certain reticent dignity and reserved his best decoration for the interior.

The style is, according to the architect, ‘an adaptation of fourteenth century English Gothic’, known as ‘decorated’, but the symbolism attached to this style has been treated in a manner more suited to the period of its construction.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close