The Bishop & Vicar of Croydon (jointly)
Croydon Episcopal Area
Croydon Central Deanery
Details of the Church
Sir George Gilbert Scott
St Peter’s Church is a landmark building sited approximately one mile south of Croydon town centre. It was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The soaring tower and spire provides a foretaste of the High Victorian style which was to follow in succeeding decades.
It comprises a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, each with large porches. The tower is sited on the centre line of the nave at the west end. There is a Lady Chapel adjacent to the south side of the chancel which is balanced by the organ chamber on the north side. The latter is extended to accommodate the choir and clergy vestries; these in turn were extended in 1932 to create a sacristy, lavatory and entrance lobby.