Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Bishop & Vicar of Croydon (jointly)

Episcopal Area

Croydon Episcopal Area

Deanery

Croydon Central Deanery

Archdeaconry

Croydon Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1881-84

Architect

John Olrid Scott

Listing

2*

St Augustine’s Church is a distinguished building, predominantly in the Decorated style. However, the window tracery of the side aisles is Perpendicular. As originally constructed, it consisted of a nave and chancel, with side aisles extending the full length of the building, the east end of the north aisle being used as a Lady Chapel, which continues at present; north and south transepts, a central tower, a polygonal baptistry at the south east corner, and a north west porch. At basement level below the east end, is a suite of rooms comprising a large meeting room, lavatories, and kitchenette.

In 1987, the church was reordered so that the building was truncated by means of a wall which separated the nave and aisles from the east end. Thus the church is now within the original chancel and adjacent side aisles, the crossing and transepts. The remainder of the building was divided up to provide a large hall within the nave, including a first floor gallery at the west end, and below this a suite of lavatories and store rooms. The former baptistry was converted to a kitchen, and the south aisle into a small hall, known as the Walmsley Hall. The original north west porch is now used as a secondary entrance, and a new porch was built adjacent to the north transept, which provides a common entrance to the church and church centre.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close