Croydon Episcopal Area
Croydon Central Deanery
Details of the Church
S S Teulon /Maurice Taylor
The original church was built to the designs of Samuel Teulon in 1851. The church was built in the Gothic style with Bath stone dressings and flint facing on a brick structure.
Due to structural problems, the original church was closed in 1978. A petition for Faculty to demolish the church building was made and this was approved following a Consistory Court hearing in 1982. Designs for a new Church were agreed by the end of 1982 but in 1983, the building was listed and it became apparent that Listed Building Consent for total demolition would not be granted.
In December 1985, the south transept caught fire and the bulk of the church was badly damaged excepting the three bays at the west end and the chancel. Designs were then prepared by Maurice Taylor and the K C White Partnership for a new building which retained the undamaged portion at the western end. The new church was completed in April 1991 and opened by the Bishop of Southwark in June 1991.
The accommodation comprises a hall in the preserved west end of the church, a worship area which is linked to the original retained part of the building by a two storey link block which accommodates an entrance lobby, office, crèche, vestry, kitchen, toilet and foyer on the ground floor with a youth room on the first floor.