Croydon: Christ Church
Croydon Central Deanery
The Revd Jacob Devadason (Priest-in-Charge)
Christ Church Vicarage
34 Longley Road
Surrey. CR0 3LH
Tel: 020 8655 1277
Christ Church Centre
Croydon CR0 3LJ
Tel: 020 8649 7620
Parish website: www.cccroydon.com
10.30am Worship for All
1st/3rd Holy Communion - informal rite A,
2nd All Age Worship,
4th Morning Worship
(with young people's activities for 3+ to 14 years old)
6.30pm Evening Worship
ranging from rite A informal Communion to reflective Space for God to Praise Parties
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche room, large print books/service sheets.
Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Tradition: Open Evangelical
Patron: Simeon Trustees
Urban Priority Area: Yes
Deanery: Croydon Central
Episcopal Area: Croydon
Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre
Christ Church, with its modern church centre, serves a parish of mainly working-class homes and there are many under-privileged families in the area. It is multicultural in nature, with significant African, Caribbean and Asian communities.
Christ Church itself is evangelical, open to renewal and we are delighted that our church family, as well as embracing all ages, is increasingly reflecting the cultural diversity of the area.
You will receive a warm welcome on Sundays and at our varied mid-week activities, all of which aim to help us in our vision of becoming a community, embracing all ages, who are devoted to:
- Each Other,
- Reaching out and enabling people to become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
Architect: Maurice Taylor
Listing: not listed
The original church was built to the designs of Samuel Teulon in 1851. The church was built in the Gothic style with Bath stone dressings and flint facing on a brick structure.
Due to structural problems, the original church was closed in 1978. A petition for Faculty to demolish the church building was made and this was approved following a Consistory Court hearing in 1982. Designs for a new Church were agreed by the end of 1982 but in 1983, the building was listed and it became apparent that Listed Building Consent for total demolition would not be granted.
In December 1985, the south transept caught fire and the bulk of the church was badly damaged excepting the three bays at the west end and the chancel. Designs were then prepared by Maurice Taylor and the K C White Partnership for a new building which retained the undamaged portion at the western end. The new church was completed in April 1991 and opened by the Bishop of Southwark in June 1991.
The accommodation comprises a hall in the preserved west end of the church, a worship area which is linked to the original retained part of the building by a two storey link block which accommodates an entrance lobby, office, crèche, vestry, kitchen, toilet and foyer on the ground floor with a youth room on the first floor.