Menu

Useful information

Patron

Patronage Board (Bishop/CPAS/Church Society Trust/a TV)

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Tooting Deanery

Archdeaconry

Wandsworth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1926

Architect

Greenaway & Newberry

Listing

NL

The church is of conventional design, with central nave, clerestory windows, north and south aisles, and north and south transepts. Vestries, with ancillary rooms above and boiler/store rooms below in a semi-basement, are located at the south east corner of the building. There is a small north porch, and a larger south porch which forms the main entrance onto Welham Road. The church is set in a fairly generous mainly grassed churchyard on the corner of Chillerton Road, its location set above the road level reflecting the slightly hilly nature of the site and surrounding residential streets. Walls are of handmade stock brick, possibly Wealden stocks. The roofs have been renewed in concrete tiles. Windows are dressed with brick cills and arches. External doors are in oak.

Internally, the walls are plastered and painted; the roof is of stained softwood boarding over trussed timber members, one at each bay of the arcaded nave. The flooring to the aisles is in some form of ‘Äúcomposition’ woodblock material, laid generally in a herringbone pattern; there is softwood boarding under the pews. The chancel area is carpeted tiled with quarry tiles, as is the Lady Chapel, whilst the north and south porches have terrazzo style in situ paving and steps.

There are some stained glass windows, including those to the east end by Martin Travers. The organ is recent, having been installed in the early 1990s.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close