The Chancellor of the Diocese of Southwark is the Worshipful Philip Petchey.
Whilst the DAC advises parishes and the Chancellor on faculty applications, it is the Chancellor (as judge of the Consistory Court) who decides whether or not a faculty should be granted. Usually this is on the basis of written submissions, although sometimes it is necessary to convene hearings (which normally take place in the church concerned).
All communications concerning the Consistory Court should be directed to the Registry, not to the Chancellor direct.
Recent decisions of the Consistory Court are available to download from the website of the Ecclesiastical Law Association. Please note: this database includes judgments from all Dioceses in the Church of England, not just for Southwark.
The Diocesan Registry
The Registrar of the Diocese of Southwark is Mr Jon Baldwin and the Registry Clerk is Mrs Jennifer Hewitt.
The Registry is based at the law firm of Winckworth Sherwood, next to Southwark Cathedral. The Diocesan Registry is the legal office for the Diocese, and provides advice and specialist support in a number of ways to:
- the Bishops and Archdeacons
- Diocesan staff, boards, councils, and committees
- parish office-holders and clergy
- members of the public.
The Registry’s responsibilities include:
- processing petitions for faculties
- giving free advice to parish officers, clergy, boards and committees of the Diocese
- issuing the documentation appointing clergy to their posts
- dealing with enquiries from clergy, parish officers and the general public on matters to do with marriage and burial law
- maintaining a variety of Diocesan records
- issuing the documentation to enable burial grounds to be consecrated
- issuing marriage licences.
In accordance with guidance issued by the Clergy Discipline Commission under section 3(3)(b) of the Clergy Discipline Measure 2003 and paragraph 264 of the Code of Practice, a Register of Penalties imposed under that Measure is kept by the Diocesan Registrar. This can be accessed upon application to the Diocesan Registry .
Contacting the Registry
Queries should be addressed to the Registry Clerk in the first instance, using the following contact details:
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: 020 7593 5110
Post: Southwark Diocesan Registry, Winckworth Sherwood, Minerva House, 5 Montague Close, London, SE1 9BB.
DX: 156810 London Bridge 6