Our Vision

Hearts on Fire with a Vision for growth

Addington: St Mary the Blessed Virgin

Croydon Addington Deanery

External photo


Addington Village Road
Addington Village
Croydon CR0 5AS

Location map

Parish website

Parish Contacts

Revd Deborah Forman (Vicar)

Addington Vicarage
Spout Hill
Croydon CR0 5AN

Tel: 01689 847092
E-mail: deborah.forman2@btinternet.com

Parish Office

Addington Village Road
Croydon CR0 5AS
Tel: 01689 842167
E-mail: stmaryblessedvirgin@tiscali.co.uk

Parish website: www.addington.org.uk

Sunday Services

Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts


Tradition: Modern Catholic/Central
Patron: Archbishop of Canterbury

Deanery: Croydon Addington

Archdeaconry: Croydon

Episcopal Area: Croydon

Diocesan Record Office: Surrey History Centre

Introduction to parish

St Mary's serves Addington Village, Fieldway in New Addington and Forestdale. It dates from 1080, and has five Archbishops buried in the churchyard.

We have a wonderful choir, and activities for children of all ages including a thriving Youth Club. Other activities include a Julian Prayer Group, the Mothers' Union, and Addington Good Neighbours that provides voluntary help to the local community.

The main service on the third Sunday of each month is more informal and planned specifically for the young people and newcomers.

We are a welcoming congregation dedicated to serving God in the world. Come and visit!

Details of the church

Internal photo

Internal photo

Built: C11-C13/C19
Architect: Unknown/J P St Aubyn
Listing: grade 1

The church, which is mediaeval in origin, has been extensively restored, altered and added to by a succession of architects, including Blore and St Aubyn so that the fabric is now largely Victorian. It consists of the traditional nave, aisles, chancel (C12) and central western tower (1876) with a Victorian vestry added at the west end of the north aisle (1876), south of the chancel.

Five Archbishops of Canterbury are buried here (the Archbishops' residence was nearby Addington Palace) and are remembered in many memorials, decorations and windows around the church.  The chancel was richly decorated in 1898 in memory of Archbishop Benson.  Other memorials and brasses date from C16-C18.