Croydon Episcopal Area
Croydon Addington Deanery
Details of the Church
Unknown / J Whichcord
Consists of a chancel, nave with a small baptistry at its west end, a small western recess above which is a gallery, a north aisle and a chapel. The 15th century rood screen was re-positioned in 1991 to enclose the chapel. The exterior is of stone and knapped flint with a square tower forming a porch to the main entrance to the building. There is a peal of six bells whose dates range from the 17th century to the 20th century. The bell chamber is accessed by an external flight of stairs which also provides entrance to the gallery.
In 1469 Henry Heydon, a lawyer from Norfolk, bought the manor of West Wickham and with it this church. He then proceeded to rebuild both. The surviving painted glass windows in the chapel, the work of Anglo-Flemish artists, depict saints whose names were bestowed on the Heydon children – Anne, Dorothy, Catherine and Christopher. Henry himself is depicted in the east window of the chapel as a skeleton. Elsewhere in the church are windows by Charles Kempe, Herbert Bryans and Powell of Whitefriars.