Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Bishop & Keble College, Oxford (jointly)

Episcopal Area

Kingston Episcopal Area

Deanery

Battersea Deanery

Archdeaconry

Wandsworth Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1876-98

Architect

Brook/Micklethwaite/Somers Clk

Listing

2*

The church comprises a brick-built structure with steeply pitched slate covered roofs, and only the minimal amount of stone dressings. The main body of the church comprises a substantial nave and an apsidal ended chancel running parallel with the main road, Lavender Hill.

At the east end of the church, the site slopes steeply down hill and contains the vestry and chapel buildings which are united with the main body of the church, but having a complex arrangement of roofs and curved brickwork forms including a conical turret containing the stair.

On the Lavender Hill frontage there is a large entrance porch formed out of the base of what was intended to be a massive tower structure, but which is roofed off at low aisle level. There are single aisles to the north and south sides of the church roofed with lean-to slate covered slopes.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close