Martyrs Memorial/CofE Patronage Tr/Peache Tr/CPAS jnt
Woolwich Episcopal Area
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
C14 / 1697-8 / 1956-8
There has been a church on this site since the period of the Norman conquest and parts of the present church date from the 14th century. Although 1697 saw some rebuilding, the work was apparently badly executed, for in 1714 much had to be redone. In October 1940, incendiary bombs fell on the church; the beautiful interior of St Nicholas’ as it is today is the result of the ingenuity and inspiration of Mr Alan Ford and the artistic gifts of the Revd Kenneth Francis, who was vicar during the period of restoration in 1958.
Woodcarving by Grinling Gibbons can be seen in the reredos and chancel decoration.