Woolwich Episcopal Area
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
St Peter’s Church was built in 1866-70 in Brockley, described by Pevsner as “a well-preserved suburb”, to designs by Frederick Marrable (1818-72). The west end was altered and the tower provided with another storey by A W Blomfield in 1891. The later work enhances what was already an impressive design, combining the talents of designer and craftsman to good effect. The nave is unusually wide for its date.
The church comprises a nave with narrow side aisles, chancel, north and south transepts, vestries, two-storey narthex which encloses the west gallery, and tower which is sited on the centre at the west end. Access to the gallery is via two stairs at the extreme north west and south west corners. The north transept accommodates a chapel. The organ console and pipes are sited within recesses each side of the chancel.