Martyrs Memorial/CofE Patronage Tr/Peache Tr/CPAS jnt
Woolwich Episcopal Area
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
T H Watson
St Luke’s Church was constructed in 1870-2 to a design by T H Watson. The interior was remodelled by Maguire and Murray to form a smaller church with ancillary hall and first floor offices for a community organisation.
The church is an imposing presence on Evelyn Street, the east elevation being articulated by a substantial tower fronted by a distinctive circular apse with five stained glass windows and articulated below these with blind arches at ground level. There are ancillary rooms to north and south of the tower, those to the north having been altered in 1927 by the addition of a new porch, the flying buttress providing some support to the tower probably having been added at the same time. There is a turret to the tower giving access to the upper stages by means of a timber and slate spiral staircase; the turret is topped by a conical stone roof.
To the west side of the tower is a large, slated dual-pitched roof originally covering the whole of the nave. This roof has some dormers to it. The aisles to north and south are likewise dual pitched. To the rear of the church, in the north west and south west corners, are two smaller porches/stores, again with sloping slated roofs.
The interior of the building has been divided up by plasterboard partitions and timber floors to provide a smaller worship area under the tower, the nave and aisles now being set aside for hall and community use. There is a first floor office, being used by a community group, accessible from a door on the south side.