Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Archbishop of Canterbury

Episcopal Area

Croydon Episcopal Area

Deanery

Croydon South Deanery

Archdeaconry

Croydon Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

C13/C15/1959/1990

Architect

Not Known/J B S Comper

Listing

1

The church is pleasantly situated at the east corner of the village green in Old Coulsdon. The original church of St John dates from the late thirteenth century with a fifteenth century west tower and consisted of a chancel, nave with north and south transepts, south porch and west tower. A large extension built onto the south transept in 1958 by J S Comper provides a spacious aisled nave and chancel with a gallery at the north end, inserted into the former south transept. The north transept has become the choir vestry and there is a small modern west porch. A more recent extension designed by John Stammers has been built between the chancel and the new church and extending eastwards. This provides a kitchen, toilets and a parish office/clergy vestry.

The old church is built of Reigate stone, flint and a few bricks with slated roofs and a shingled spire on the tower. The new church and the recent extension are built with facing bricks and copper sheeting or felt on the roofs.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close