The Bishop & Rector of Rotherhithe, St Mary alternately
Woolwich Episcopal Area
Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Deanery
Details of the Church
Covell Matthews & Partners
The church by Covell Matthews & Partners dated 1960 was built off the foundations of a church by W O Milne of 1884. The existing basement was also part of the earlier structure.
The church plan consists of a nave and chancel, with a shallow pitched roof, a chapel (dedicated to St Barnabas) with porch entrance on the south side of the church and vestries on the north side. A stair from the vestry corridor gives access to a cross passage in the basement which terminates in an external stair and exit. There are two general purpose rooms and a store off the basement passage beneath the chancel and chapel.
The exterior walls are zig-zag shaped around the nave and both the sanctuary and chapel are apsed at the east end. Concrete tracery to all nave windows is filled with abstract patterned coloured glass by W T Carter Shapland. The church is constructed of brick with a copper covered nave roof and flat roofs elsewhere.
The church of South Bermondsey, St Bartholomew was declared redundant and demolished in 1993.