Turns 1,3 & 4 The Bishop, Incb Bemondsey, St Mary & FW Smith; Turn 2 The Crown
Woolwich Episcopal Area
Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Deanery
Details of the Church
The church was designed by James Savage, and consecrated on 7th May 1829. It is built of Gault bricks with Bath stone dressings and spire. The interior has a gallery on three sides which is supported on square piers with Ionic columns above. There is a clerestory and a coffered ceiling. The sanctuary has an arched ceiling with a large painting of the Ascension by John Wood (1844) as an altar piece. The ground floor pews date from 1901. The present interior dates from 1965 when the aisles were blocked off. The north aisle is used as a Doctor’s surgery. The building has undergone extensive external repair since 1988 and is currently undergoing internal restoration.
The church of Bermondsey, St Crispin was made redundant in 1999.