Woolwich Episcopal Area
Southwark & Newington Deanery
Details of the Church
1880-1892 / 1956
Situated next to London Bridge, we believe there has been a church on this site since AD 606. Our parish is small with only a handful of people are actually resident, but there are two hospitals, the Cathedral Primary School and the Borough Market.
Nonetheless, the Cathedral is used by many thousands of people each year and is in demand for special services and events of all kinds – consecrations, memorials, celebrations, school and college services, presentation and degree ceremonies for the South Bank University, the Guy’s, King’s & St Thomas’ Medical School, the Nightingale and Guys College of Nursing and Trinity College of Music.
There are usually five services every day, with the congregations reflect the age, ethnic, gender, sexual orientation and status diversities of a comprehensive world-class capital city; thus the variety of past centuries is multiplied and magnified many times over.
It is not only a place of worship but also of hospitality to every kind of person: princes and paupers, prelates and prostitutes, poets, playwrights, prisoners and patients have all found refuge here.
The building regularly hosts conferences, seminars and exhibitions and it hires out its venues to outside organisations. There are regular organ recitals and concerts. The cathedral has a fully stocked and licensed refectory.