Putney: St Margaret
Putney Park Lane
Revd Ann Brodie
46 Luttrell Avenue, Putney, London SW15 6PE
Tel: 020-8788 5522
8.00am Holy Communion
BCP (1st/3rd/5th Sundays)
10.00am Morning Service
(Family Service - 1st Sunday)
(Crèche, Sunday School, Common Worship)
6.30pm Evening Service
Holy Communion and Ministry of Healing (1st Sunday)
Evening Worship United Evening Worship at Putney Methodist Church (other Sundays)
Wednesday at 11.00am
Holy Communion in the Lady Chapel
Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche, induction loop
Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts
Patron: Bishop of Southwark
Population (1991 census): 10,522
Urban Priority Area: No
Episcopal Area: Kingston
Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives
St Margaret's is located up Putney Park Lane, off the Upper Richmond Road. It serves the richly diverse area between Putney and Roehampton.
St Margaret's Mission Statement is: "To know and share the love of Christ and to serve the community through Christian fellowship, worship and teaching."
There is close cooperation between Roman Catholic, Methodist and Anglican neighbours.
Among a large variety of activities, including those for young people, there are a number of study groups, and outreach initiatives including special breakfasts and a church newspaper circulated throughout the Parish. Every two weeks there is a community lunch.
Listing: not listed
The building was originally constructed around 1859 as the Grove Chapel, and was used for Nonconformist worship. In 1912 the building was donated to the parish of Putney and became St. Margaret's Church. At this time the building was cruciform in plan, with a nave, short polygonal transepts and a bell tower at the south west corner supporting a slated spire. The West door was approached by a series of rising steps with further steps descending into the church.
In 1925 the church was extended to the east, with the introduction of two further transepts each set behind an arcade of two arches, a chancel, and an apsidal sanctuary with a Lady Chapel to its south. Around the same date the steps were removed from the west end, to leave a level entrance, and a large west porch was constructed. The architects for all of this work are believed to have been the practice of Forsythe and Maule. More recently a vestry was constructed against the north side of the chancel.