Our Vision

Hearts on Fire with a Vision for growth

Sydenham: St Bartholomew


Westwood Hill
SE26 6QR

Location map

Parish website

Parish Contacts

Revd Michael Kingston (Vicar)

St Bartholomew's Vicarage
4 Westwood Hill
London SE26

Tel: 020 8778 5290
E-mail: michaelkingston@btinternet.com

Parish Office
Tel: 020 8776 5722
Parish website:

Sunday Services

8.00 am Holy Communion (BCP) 9.30 am Parish Eucharist
(with Children's Church and crèche) Facilities: Disabled access, toilets, disabled toilet, crèche, induction loop

Further details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts


Tradition: Central/Modern Catholic
Patron: Earl of Dartmouth

Deanery: West Lewisham
Archdeaconry: Lewisham & Greenwich
Episcopal Area: Woolwich
Diocesan Record Office: Lewisham Local Studies Centre

Introduction to parish

The building of St Bartholomew's is itself a powerful statement of the presence of the Church in the community. It has an active and busy congregation of a wide variety of ages and ethnicities, and a church school which is an important part of parish life. Our worship and teaching are of a liberal catholic style. We have a tradition of music here (Sir George Grove lived in the parish) which has currently produced the Orchestra of St Bartholomew's, composed of local musicians from London's leading orchestras. In partnership with the local authority and CUF we are developing youth work in the crypt.

Details of the Church

Internal photoBuilt: 1827 - 32
Architect: Lewis Vulliamy
Listing: grade 2*

The church was built between 1827 and 1832, and the architect was Lewis Vulliamy. It is understood that the original church had a plain ceiling with pillars of brick and plaster and an organ gallery at the west end. There was no chancel.

Extensive alterations were carried out by Edwin Nash between 1858 and 1874: the chancel, north transept and vestries were added, the present nave arcade erected to a greater height and all the main roof structures rebuilt. The gallery was taken down. There is much fine stained glass in the church, including the west window by Clayton and Bell, and east windows (1953) by Francis Spear. The elaborate reredos, erected between 1901 and 1910, is by Henry Wilson.

There is an extensive crypt which was adapted by Eric Howard during the 1980s for club purposes.

The church is the subject of a painting by Camille Pissarro in the National Gallery.