Woolwich Episcopal Area
West Lewisham Deanery
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
The growth of new houses in the Honor Oak area led to a demand for a church, and St. Augustine’s parish was formed. The architect appointed was William Oakley, a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects, who was to design, “a building which on account of the site and status of the neighbourhood, must of necessity possess some architectural pretensions”.
The foundation stone was laid by Mr J G Talbot MP on the 3rd October, 1872, and it was intended to consecrate the building on St. Augustine’s Day, 26th May, in the next year, but this was not to be; for although the building was finished in time, about £3000 of the total cost of £5000 was still owing, and the consecration was deferred until the church was out of debt, on 2nd December 1874. The church was in use for public worship, however, from 4th June 1873 onwards.
For full details, visit the Parish website