The Vicar of St Bartholomew, Sydenham
Woolwich Episcopal Area
West Lewisham Deanery
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
George Fellowes Prynne
The original designs or Fellowes Prynne were not fully implemented in 1904, presumably because of financial constraints. As a result, a number of the features of the original design were left incomplete. Items that were not finished in that initial phase of construction include the chapel on the south side of the sanctuary and a further two bays to the nave at the west end of the building.
However, completed accommodation comprises a raised sanctuary and chancel behind a fine full height rood screen with a nave altar set before the screen. To the north or the chancel is the choir vestry with access to the organ loft. Behind the choir vestry is the Charcoal Room and priest’s vestry.
To the west of the nave altar is the nave with north and south aisles and remnants of the original design of porches at the ends of the north and south aisles. There is a small lobby constructed within the ‘temporary’ construction at the west end of the church.
The church is constructed of load-bearing brick walls and columns decorated in perpendicular Gothic style with bands of limestone supporting a pitched roof clad with clay tiles. The roof structure is concealed behind a horizontally boarded ceiling internally but follows the same profile as the four pointed chancel arch.
The various areas of temporary construction are finished in yellow stock brick and roofed with slate.
The interior of the church is light and lofty and the fine white rood screen forms a visual focus through which the high altar can be seen.