The Bishop & Keble College, Oxford, jointly
Woolwich Episcopal Area
Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry
Details of the Church
St Mary’s Church stands an the end of a spur of high ground which reaches out Northwards towards the Thames. The churchyard has been taken over by the Borough as public gardens.
The church was built between 1727 and 1739. The builder was Matthew Spray, however the designer is not known.
The church originally consisted of a nave with galleried aisles and a western tower. The chancel, sanctuary, organ chamber and Lady Chapel were added in the 19th century. The chancel by J O Scott dates from 1894. The galleries and aisles were closed off to form offices and cafeteria by Thomas Ford in 1961. New vestries were added and the crypt was converted into a Youth Club, by Thomas Ford in 1965 and 1967 respectively.
The walls are constructed in stock bricks in line mortar. Copings, cornices, window surrounds and plinth cappings are Portland stone. The buttress cappings and band courses in the newer work at the east end are in Bath stone. The roofs are covered in clay plain tiles.