Menu

Useful information

Patron

The Bishop

Episcopal Area

Woolwich Episcopal Area

Deanery

Charlton Deanery

Archdeaconry

Lewisham and Greenwich Archdeaconry

Details of the Church

Built

1828-29

Architect

George Smith

Listing

2*

The church was designed in a Gothic style by George Smith and built in 1829-30 at a cost of £4,000, the gift of John Cator Esq. The building consists of a tall nave with galleries in both north and south aisles and at the west end. The tall spire, 172 feet high, known as “the Needle of Kent” is unusually placed at the east end of the church. Staircases at the north west and south west corners lead to the galleries and the two entrances were originally at the foot of these stairs. The north and south porches are later additions, as is the north east vestry which was added in 1879.

The church is built of load-bearing Gault brickwork with Bath stone dressings and roofed with Welsh slates.

The South London Church Fund and Southwark Diocese Board of Finance is a company limited by guarantee (No. 236594).
Registered Office: Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street, London SE1 1HW. Registered Charity: (No. 249678).

© The Diocese of Southwark 2021. All rights reserved.
Hit enter to search or ESC to close