Our Vision

Hearts on Fire with a Vision for growth

West Norwood: St Luke

Lambeth South Deanery

Knights Hill
West Norwood
London
SE27 0HS

Location Map

Parish website

Parish Contacts

Revd Donald Davies (Vicar)

The Vicarage
6 Chatsworth Way
London SE27 9HR

Tel: 020 8265 5139
E-mail: donalddavis@ntlworld.com

Parish Office
Knights Hill
West Norwood
London SE27 0HS

Tel: 020 8761 0068
E-mail: stlukeswestnorwood@gmail.com

stlukeswestnorwood.wordpress.com/

Sunday Services

10.30 am Sunday Worship

Details of all Sunday and weekday services and activities may be obtained from the parish contacts

Information

Patron: Archbishop of Canterbury

Deanery: Lambeth South

Archdeaconry: Lambeth

Episcopal Area: Kingston

Diocesan Record Office: London Metropolitan Archives

Details of Church

Built: 1822 – 25
Architect: Francis Bedford
Listing: Grade 2*

St Luke’s Church in West Norwood is a Grade II* listed building. It stands on a prominent triangular site at the south end of Norwood Road, where the highway forks to become Knights Hill and Norwood High Street. The building was designed by Francis Octavius Bedford in 1822, as a result of the Church Building Act of 1818, which had been passed in response to the end of the Napoleonic wars and the growing urban population. It is known as a “Commissioners’ church” because it received a grant from the Church Building Commission towards the cost of its construction. It was constructed along with St Matthew’s Brixton, St Mark’s, Kennington and St John’s Waterloo. These four “Waterloo churches”, each dedicated to one of the four authors of gospels of the New Testament, were specified to have 1800-2000 sittings, vaults for burials, be constructed of brick with stone dressing and cost no more than £13,000 each. In 1872-3 St Luke’s was extensively altered by G E Street, who dramatically rearranged the interior, creating a conventional chancel at the end opposite the entrance, and dividing up the nave with Romanesque arcades supporting a plaster barrel vault.

Today, St Luke’s is an enthusiastic church and the 10.30am Sunday service has a contemporary feel, with modern music and open participation. Bible teaching is always a key ingredient of all church meetings and there are also children’s programmes in Sunday School.