This leadership role for an ordained minister or experienced youth worker is responsible for overseeing Emmanuel’s ministry for the 0 to 25 year olds, working directly with children and young people teaching them in a relevant and engaging manner, and developing ways to connect with others in the community. They will grow, train a large team of staff, encouraging volunteer engagement, and support families in discipleship. As a member of the Church’s senior leadership team they will help shape the strategy that will enable Emmanuel Church to achieve our vision outcomes. The post holder will be provided accommodation for the better performance of their duties.
- The discipleship and strategic development of ministry to those within our church family who are aged between 0-25 as well as the wider community
- Leading and training the staff team working in this area, which currently consists of a Children’s coordinator and a Young Families coordinator.
- Coordinating effective transitions between stages of adolescent development and education, including junior to senior school, to university or other post school training
- Recruiting, motivating and supporting teams of young leaders / volunteers who will lead and staff activities so that they are effective and able to teach, build relationships
- Supporting and empowering parents and carers to take responsibility together for discipling their children
- Integrating our youth and children’s work with core church activities and providing follow up with those who fall away
- Equipping and empowering young people to reach and disciple their peers while also developing ways for us as a church to connect with young people and children in the community
- Collaborating with the ministry team and the leadership team to implement Emmanuel’s vision, meeting regularly to pray, and review progress.
- Collaborating with our partners and other community group leaders at Emmanuel to pray, support each other and share resources
- Leading on communication and advertising of activities to parents and young people in an age-appropriate manner, including effective use of social media
- Safeguarding – the role hold will be Deputy Safeguarding Officer – supporting the Vicar to ensuring our policies and procedures are adhered to throughout our children’s and youth work and that all leaders and helpers are DBS approved.
- Ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion
- Regular reporting to the PCC, and once a year to the members at the APCM
The Ideal Candidate
- Ordained in the Church of England or comparable recognition in church leadership.
- Degree level qualification in any subject
- Theological training (e.g. diploma)
Knowledge and skills
- Can teach the Bible faithfully to a range of ages, from children to adults, in both formal and informal settings in an engaging and relevant way
- Has a drive to introduce children and young people to Jesus and can explain the Christian faith clearly and compellingly to those of other faiths and none
- Has experience and vision for engaging with young people in the local community
- Can lead collaboratively and build effective teams, delegating and supporting appropriately.
- Can relate well to children and young people in a variety of contexts, from different social backgrounds and across age groups or life stages
- Is able to train and partner with parents in the discipling of their children
- Understands the evolution of youth culture and its likely implications for young people
- Can lead in the production and co-ordination of high quality teaching curriculum across all age groups
- Is highly organised, demonstrable self-starter able to effectively self-start and self-motivate.
- Is able to exercise good judgement especially in the context of conflicting pressures and workload
- Is aware of safeguarding standards and able to lead in their implementation. This role is subject to Enhanced DBS disclosure
- A committed Christian with evangelical convictions
- Godly character
- Commitment to be fully involved in the life and worship of Emmanuel
- Someone who leads and teaches by example,
Emmanuel Croydon is a thriving evangelical church of around 350 adults and 100 children and young people. We are seeking to grow in our relationship with the living God and serve our local community. We are a Church of England parish within the Diocese of Southwark and our members represent a wide range of backgrounds and Christian experiences. We seek to be a multi-generational, multi-cultural community drawn together by our desire to love God with heart, soul, mind, and strength, and to love our neighbours as ourselves.
Each Sunday, we have two services of worship in which adults, children and young people meet together. All our teaching, ministries and activities are rooted in the Bible, and our desire to see people respond to the living God through creative worship and openness to the ministry of the Holy Spirit.
Choral Scholarships and Organ Scholarship, St Margaret, Lee
CHORAL SCHOLARSHIPS (AGE 18+) St Margaret’s, Lee seeks to appoint four Choral Scholars (ATB) for the coming academic year (2021/22) to sing with the choir. The…
Closes Friday 31 DecemberView Vacancy
Children and Families Leader, St Margaret, Chipstead
We are looking for an excellent and enthusiastic Children and Families Leader who is passionate about knowing and sharing God’s transforming love….
Closes Friday 8 OctoberView Vacancy